Sunday, September 23, 2012

Indy

On July 31st, I went out in the backyard and happened upon a baby water (slider) turtle.  It was in the grass and I almost stepped on it.  I picked it up and immediately saw that he was injured.  It looked like something had taken a bite out of his back right side.  I thought his back right leg was missing, but then I saw that it was just tucked up underneath him.  He also looked like he was bleeding in a few places.  And he was blind.  Either something got to his eyes, or he never had openings for them.  They were grown over.  I showed the kids this little turtle and Kammie took a liking to him.  She was determined to care for him.  She prepared a home and watched over him.  When it became apparent that he wasn't really eating, she put his food in a dropper and fed him.   



 Kammie  named him Indian, because of the cool markings on his tummy, but called him Indy for short.

He didn't make it, but not for lack of Kammie's love and concern.  She truly cared about this little guy and did everything she could for him.  We buried him and marked his grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment