Sunday, October 28, 2012

"Hole"y Cow!

Murphy's Law hit full force the end of September.  We've had all sorts of things happen that require extra funds.  Over the summer, I hit the fridge with the van and we had to replace that.  Our inside fridge recently died and we had to get the relay board fixed.  There was the sprinklers we had to have fixed in the yard, and all sorts of car trouble.  A small oil change that amounts to $400 plus in repairs by the end (for two different cars).  Well, at the end of September, while my visiting teachers were here, there was a knock on my door.  Maumelle Water Management guys were at my door.  They told me I had a leak and that they were turning off my water.  I would need to call a plumber.  I lost it.  NOT ONE MORE THING!  James was out of town and I wasn't sure what to do.  Thankfully, my kind neighbor was home and came out to find out what was going on.  He was able to hear the explanation of the problem.  Any leak from the meter to the street is the city's responsibility.  Any leak from the meter to the house, is the owner's responsibility.  We were 3" inches in the wrong direction.  The workers thought it was something simple like PVC pipe we could replace ourselves, so my neighbor offered to help dig.  We dug the whole, bailing out water the whole time, only to discover that it wasn't PVC, but metal, copper piping of some sort.  So, I got to call a plumber in the end. 

It turned out to be a leak from the regulator and had to be replaced.  For $300 he got it done.  The one plus has been, that the plumber measured and adjusted our water pressure to the house and it's been so much better.  It doesn't take 5 minutes to fill a glass of water from the fridge.  Our shower is a shower now and not a trickle.  So, maybe it was a blessing in disguise!

Our Hole up close...

 Like what we've done to the yard?

All back to normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment