Sunday, January 9, 2011

Book of Mormon Quilt

I got my friend into making a quilt 4 1/2 years ago. I didn't know back then how busy she really is and didn't know that she would not have time to ever work on it much. Last year I tried to get her to finish it, but things didn't work out. This summer I took matters into my own hands. While they were on vacation and asked us to care for their dog and we had a key to their house, I snuck into their closet and found the quilt top that was not quite finished and I swiped it. In October I started in ernest to finish the project. I had to do some hand embroidery work and got some help from a friend that does that sort of thing better than me. Then I had to do the Book of Mormon Stories letters as the title of the quilt around the border. After that it was just quilting the whole thing. A kind friend let me use her long arm quilting machine and I got a 1/4 of it quilted on that. After that I safety pin basted the rest and quilted it on my machine at home. After that the binding. All done. It was such a fun present to give--to see and hear the surprise.

The finished product...




















I quilted my name into the quilt. On the back side it's backwards of course.

2 comments:

  1. I'll get a dog if you would consider sneaking in and taking on even one of my unfinished projects ;) What a fun surprise. I loved reading about it.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun quilt! And what a fun gift to give! You are amazing my friend!

    ReplyDelete